A healthy diet includes:
• Eating more whole foods like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds.
• Limiting processed foods, sugar and red meat.
• Drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated.
• Watching your portion sizes and not overeating.
• A good balance of lean proteins, whole grains, healthy fats and lots of fruits and vegetables.
Most experts recommend getting at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week. Some good options include:
• Walking, jogging, biking or swimming
• Strength or resistance training with weights or bodyweight exercises
• Yoga or high intensity interval training
The more you exercise the greater the health benefits. But start slow and build up your endurance and strength over time.
The best diets for weight loss are:
• Focus on lean proteins, lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains. Limit starchy, sugary and fatty foods.
• Track your calories and aim for a 500 to 1000 calorie deficit per day for healthy weight loss of about 1-2 pounds per week.
• Consider a plan like Weight Watchers or the Mediterranean diet which provide flexibility and promote lifestyle changes.
• Very low calorie or restrictive fad diets may help with fast, short-term weight loss but are hard to sustain and unhealthy.
• Exercise regularly in combination with diet for the most effective weight loss results.